One criminal charge, and if convicted, can change and derail someone’s life. When a loved one gets arrested for a criminal offense, your first instinct should be about contacting an attorney. California has some amazing law firms that specialize in such cases, and they know what it takes to defend a client. Regardless of whether someone is guilty or not, they still have the right to defend themselves. Even those charged with rape, attempted murder, and other serious charges should have an attorney by their side. In this post, we are sharing more on how to hire the best criminal defense attorney in California.
Get a consultation session
The first meeting with a defense attorney should be complementary, but it depends on the law firm. Nevertheless, you have to consider meeting an attorney to know what and how they can help. If you are facing a small charge, you don’t really need a big legal team to go to court, but for serious offenses, hiring a good attorney is critical. Defense attorneys, during the first meeting, will evaluate you case and give you a list of possible outcomes. A skilled attorney knows what it takes to improve the situation, and if you are lucky, your lawyer can get your case dismissed too.
There are a few simple questions that every client, or a family member, should ask when meeting a criminal defense attorney. Remember that hiring a lawyer does add to the costs, but a known lawyer can actually change the course of your case.
- How long have you been practicing as a criminal defense attorney? What are some of your landmark cases?
- What do you think of my case? What would be your typical approach in such cases?
- Will you represent me personally? Or another associate will be assigned?
- How much do you charge per hour?
- What are the other expenses of the case?
- Do you take up just state cases, or specialize in federal lawsuits too?
- How often do you represent your clients in court?
- Can you share a few references?
A good criminal defense attorney never steps back from discussing options or their credibility. Make sure that you have a fair idea of how the attorney is working on the case and do check if the law firm has good reviews online. Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you case in many ways.